There is so much noise out there in the world of filmmaking that it’s hard to find current, useful sites that provide a handy list of tools and resources for budding filmmakers and veterans. Here’s a list to help cut through the chaos.
TOP 5 FILMMAKING BLOGS
- Learn Story: The successor to StillMotion, Learn Story moves toward the business side of telling stories through film. StillMotion’s blog also still exists, and there is a ton of information still there about gear. It will get outdated quickly, but worth a look.
- HurlbutVisuals.com: For the true gearhead, Hurlbut Visuals always seems to have the latest toys reviewed on the front of their site, from lighting to sound, to post-production editing equipment. You name it, they’ve looked at it.
- Lights Film School: For the new chum, Lights Film School has a ton of free tutorials that they tout as having “an instant impact on the quality of your film and documentary projects.”
- The Creative Cow: They bill themselves as “the peer-to-peer support community for media production professionals.” No matter what aspect of filmmaking you need to talk about, there’s someone who has been there and done that at The Creative Cow, and they’re willing to share their insights.
- Film Riot: Funny, always fresh, and an interesting trip through Ryan Connolly’s head. He’s founder and president of Triune Films, and always has something to say that’s worth listening to.